Melbourne Girls Grammar has a proud history of advancing the physical opportunities of our girls and remains strongly committed to physical wellbeing throughout each student’s journey.
Every girl needs to understand the importance of physical activity for positive mental health and overall wellbeing. All girls are encouraged to participate either competitively or recreationally. MGGS is committed to:
- Ensuring our programs are reflective of the most current trends in the benefits of sport and exercise on social, emotional, physical and psychological wellbeing
- Using evidence based research to inform our contemporary program
- Providing a breadth of opportunities that cater for a wide range of needs from recreational programs to competitive sport
- Encourage every girl to strive to achieve her personal best for optimal wellbeing.
Sport by Student Program
The Melbourne Girls Grammar community officially opened the Artemis Centre in September 2017. This wellbeing centre has state of the art, gender built facilities including:
- 25m indoor pool with adjustable depth height
- indoor courts for basketball, netball and volleyball
- studios for yoga, Pilates and cardio
Artemis Centre complements the existing School facilities including:
- Multipurpose sports fields
- Rowing facility located nearby on the banks of the Yarra River
- The Tan at Melbourne’s Royal Botanic Gardens
- Fawkner Park
- Melbourne Sports and Aquatics Centre
- Lakeside Stadium
There are five Houses at Melbourne Girls Grammar: Batman, Clarke, Hensley, Mungo and Taylor.
Interhouse sport in the Middle and Senior Years Programs is designed to provide competitive sporting situations, whilst fostering House spirit, sportsmanship and participation for all students. The girls compete in:Read more
- Swimming/diving in Term 1
- Athletics in Term 2
- Cross-country in Term 2
Throughout the year various recreational sporting activities are offered to students and they are encouraged to attend as many sessions as they like. These activities give students an opportunity to participate in sport in a non-competitive environment and access the facilities.Read more
Activities on offer include:
- Recreational Running
Tennis coaching is available at the school to all students from Prep to Year 12 by registered coaches, either before school or during lunchtime.
Swimming coaching is available with sessions offered before and after school.
Our Partners in Sport
Melbourne Girls Grammar partners with many leading Victorian sporting organisations.Read more
GIRLS’ SPORT VICTORIA (YEARS 7 TO 12)
Girls’ Sport Victoria Inc. (GSV) is one of the largest independent girls’ school sporting associations in Victoria. It was formed in 2000 to create a uniform entity through which girls’ sport in participating schools could be supported, conducted, promoted and administered.
SCHOOL SPORT VICTORIA
Melbourne Girls Grammar is affiliated with School Sport Victoria (SSV) through the Armadale District. This involvement offers a higher level of competition for more experienced and talented students from Year 3 to Year 6. MGGS sends squads to represent the school in swimming, cross-country and athletics.
A select number of Year 5 and Year 6 students may also represent MGGS in SSV State team trials in tennis, soccer, basketball and netball.
OTHER COMPETITIVE SPORT
Melbourne Girls Grammar competes against a wider range of schools by entering sporting teams in other competitions, providing further opportunities to compete against a wider range of school students.
- All Schools’ Swimming/Diving and Track & Field
- Victorian Track Relays
- National Championships Rowing
- Martial Arts
The Melbourne Football Club
The Melbourne Football Club and Melbourne Girls Grammar formed a partnership in March 2016 in support of the school’s AFL Program. The partnership includes a varying level of support across the school’s football program including the appointment of Melbourne Football Club players Jas Grierson, Brooke Patterson and Ainslie Kemp as part of a five person coaching team.