At Melbourne Girls Grammar, we believe a physically active culture is the cornerstone to positive wellbeing .
A person’s attitude to sport and physical activity is often shaped by their experiences as a child or adolescent. Our programs are founded on creating fun and positive learning experiences in skill acquisition and physical literacy. Our team of experienced and passionate coaches are committed to creating welcoming and inclusive spaces, a mindset of endeavour, goal setting and personal achievement, and a culture that values healthy habits and physical activity to support broader wellbeing and performance outcomes for life.
We value sport as a vehicle to:
- Improve physical and mental wellbeing;
- Explore experiences and opportunities to develop skills in leadership, teamwork, goal-setting, time-management and organisation;
- Nurture the holistic development of character within a values-driven culture;
- Be challenged, and to build confidence, self-belief and resilience;
- Make friends and strengthen relationships;
- Laugh and have fun;
- Celebrate positive role modelling and achievements; and
- Create opportunities for learning and growth.
We are dedicated to deliver a sport program which aims to:
- Provide a range of individual and team sporting opportunities for all students with an emphasis on fun, enjoyment and learning for whole of school participation and engagement;
- Ensure acquisition of fundamental movement skills, fitness, confidence and competence;
- Connect coaches to girls who positively influence their sporting experiences and help them believe that “they can do this;”
Our environment is one that actively supports and nurtures a culture of endeavour, work ethic, and the pursuit of excellence from grassroots to high performing teams and programs through:
- Healthy, fun and rewarding competition opportunities appropriate to age and development;
- High-quality coaching by people who care and inspire girls to have a go, to challenge themselves and to perform to their best ability;
- Delivery of streamlined support services in strength and conditioning, recovery practices, sports psychology, nutrition, performance analysis and research to optimise performance outcomes.
Programs designed to suit each girl, aimed to provide opportunity, choice and empowerment.
Through the power of an inclusive, vibrant and welcoming sport and physical activity program, girls will discover and develop their confidence, passions and potential for optimal wellbeing.
Our ‘Sport for All’ approach is anchored to our values and sense of community and reflects our core purpose in honouring that what matters to each girl is important.
The comprehensive matrix of sport, fitness, training and activity programs available for students from ELC through to Year 12 aim to nurture confident and capable girls with the skills, knowledge and behaviours to be fit for life, to make healthy and informed decisions relating to their physical wellbeing, and to try new things in an ever-changing environment.
ELC and Junior Years sport opportunities.Read more
In support of our commitment to the physical and emotional well-being of the whole child, our specially crafted Artemis Programs aim to inspire and empower girls to explore a range of sports and activities through high quality coaching and learning experiences that emphasise fun, active play and having a go.
The sports and activities available offer students the opportunity to enjoy and develop a well-rounded repertoire of fundamental movement skills and physical fitness aimed to ignite passion and to build confidence and connection for a physically active lifestyle now and in the future.
Middle Years sport opportunities.Read more
In the Middle Years Program, girls are encouraged to take greater ownership of their sport and physical activity habits and development by creating their personalised “Physical Pathway.” An extensive choice of physical pathway options is offered, which have been categorised into three streams:
- Championship Sports + Participation Pathways
- Competition Sports + Pursuits
- Skill Development + Recreational Activities
With support and guidance from Health and Physical Education (HPE) staff and Artemis coaching team, girls determine their Physical Pathway, which means selecting and committing to their choice of available co-curricular sport(s) and activities.
Healthy habits and leading an active lifestyle requires both self-discipline and commitment. Our culture of shared expectation fosters girls to support and encourage each other to take on a challenge, set aspirational goals and achieve their personal best within this framework.
Senior Years Fit for Life Approach.Read more
A key feature of the Senior Years Program is the Fit for Life Program. The basis of the Program is to personalise the sport and physical activity experience by developing personalised physical wellbeing and athletic development plans that consider each girl’s interests, motivations and goals.
The Fit for Life Program aims to:
- Promote regular exercise and movement as a foundation for healthy development and wellbeing.
- Foster a culture of physical activity and exercise as part of the education experience at Melbourne Girls Grammar which sets the platform for girls to be active for life.
- Improve the physical fitness and athletic development qualities of all students.
- Cater to and support the needs and interests of all girls, from those aspiring to optimise their physical and health potential to the emerging and elite athlete.
- Equip our students with the tools, skills, confidence and knowledge to be active for life, to make healthy and informed decisions relating to their physical wellbeing, and to try new things in an ever-changing environment.
We believe that to flourish in the highly complex, accelerating world in which they will live and learn, our students must emerge from school confident in their identity, equipped with strategies to expand their capacity to apply themselves in challenging contexts, and optimistic that they can influence their future opportunities.
The Melbourne Girls Grammar community opened the Artemis Centre in September 2017. This wellbeing centre has state of the art, gender built facilities including:
- 25m indoor pool with adjustable depth height
- indoor courts for basketball, netball and volleyball
- studios for yoga, Pilates and cardio
Artemis Centre complements the existing School facilities including:
- Multipurpose sports fields
- Rowing facility located nearby on the banks of the Yarra River
Beyond the Artemis Centre and campus grounds, we are perfectly situated to make use of the following locations and venues:
- The Tan at Melbourne’s Royal Botanic Gardens
- Fawkner Park
- Melbourne Sports and Aquatics Centre
- Lakeside Stadium
- Gosch’s Paddock
- Albert Park Lake
- Yarra River
- Mt Buller Village and Surrounds
- Equestrian venues around Melbourne
There are five Houses at Melbourne Girls Grammar: Batman, Clarke, Hensley, Mungo and Taylor.
Interhouse sport in the Junior, Middle and Senior Years Programs is designed to provide competitive sporting situations, whilst fostering House spirit, sportspersonship and participation for all students. The girls compete in:Read more
*Available to girls as part of the co-curricular program.
Our Partners in Sport
Melbourne Girls Grammar partners with many leading Victorian sporting organisations.Read more
GIRLS’ SPORT VICTORIA (YEARS 7 TO 12)
Melbourne Girls Grammar is affiliated with Girls Sport Victoria Inc. (GSV) to conduct our Year 7 – 12 inter-school sports and carnivals. GSV is an independent girls’ school sporting association for Victoria to support, conduct, promote and administer a wide range of sports, focusing on participation and an introduction to sport competition for secondary school aged students.
In our Melbourne region, we join 24 comparative schools to provide the girls with an opportunity to participate; developing training and competition skills in a safe and supportive environment. MGGS has made a commitment to offer and support GSV weekly sports and carnivals in-line with our physical wellbeing and athletic development program aimed at catering to and supporting the needs and interests of all girls, from those aspiring to optimise their physical and health potential to the emerging and elite athlete.
SCHOOL SPORT VICTORIA (Years 3 to 6)
Melbourne Girls Grammar is affiliated with School Sport Victoria (SSV) to conduct our Year 3 – 6 inter-school sports and tournaments. SSV is open to all Victorian primary schools (government and non-government) actively promotes and supports participation opportunities for all primary school students in competition that is commensurate with their age and ability.
In our Armadale region, we join comparative schools to facilitate an introduction to a range of sports where each girl can explore her interests, develop her passions and discover her talent in a safe and supportive environment.
OTHER COMPETITIVE SPORT opportunities
Melbourne Girls Grammar School competes in Representative, State and National competition in the following sports:
- Track & Field
- Cross Country Running
The Melbourne Football Club
The Melbourne Football Club and Melbourne Girls Grammar formed a partnership in March 2016 in support of the school’s AFL Program. The partnership includes a varying level of support across the school’s football program including the appointment of Melbourne Football Club players Jas Grierson, Brooke Patterson and Ainslie Kemp as part of a five person coaching team.