Phelia Grimwade House
;
;

Phelia Grimwade House

Newcomers to the School often wonder about the origins of the unusual name, Phelia Grimwade House. Built in 1881-2, this house was originally called Yarra House and was the home of William Cain, a successful businessman and pastoralist. Architecturally, it is regarded as an important Melbourne Italianate Villa, most likely to have been designed by Joseph Reed. Some time later, the Cains sold the house to Norton and Phelia Grimwade.

In 1929, the Grimwades generously offered the School the opportunity to purchase Yarra House at a very reduced price. Their philanthropy enabled the School to extend its footprint in Anderson Street and to own this beautiful building and garden. In appreciation of their gift, the name Phelia Grimwade House was chosen for the new building, and thus Phelia’s name continues to resonate with generations of students.

Portrait of Phelia Grimwade.

A beautiful painting of Phelia Grimwade House by William Tibbits, created about 1884, was purchased by past Principal, Miss Nina Crone (1975-1994), for her own collection. After her death, her family presented it to the School in her memory. It hangs in pride of place in the Principal’s Study which, fittingly, is actually in Phelia Grimwade House. For most of the School’s existence, the Principal’s Study was in Merton Hall. Principal, Christine Briggs moved the administrative centre of the School, including Reception and her own study, to Phelia Grimwade in 1998. The Tibbits’ painting reveals that there was a second significant entrance facing north towards the Yarra, rather than just the one we know today facing west with its massive Spanish monastery doors which were donated by the Grimwades in 1929. This entrance is not often seen by students, except for the boarders. The Tibbits painting shows very clearly the set of steps facing north which are still in place today.

Construction of the School badge on the entrance at Phelia Grimwade House, 1930.

Phelia Grimwade opened in 1930, as a boarding house, after the large dining hall was constructed at the back. The dungeons, now used for storage, will be remembered by many as music rooms. Sleeping in the tower was a prized allocation for the boarders and many are the stories told of the times up there. Nearly 100 years later, Phelia Grimwade’s name lives on.

Students in front of Phelia Grimwade House in 2025.

Author

Pip O'Connor (Farrer, 1965), Old Grammarian, Former Teacher and School Historian